Friday, September 11, 2009

RECREATING A HAPPY HOME

       As the tsunami hit the south of Thailand in 2004, it indiscriminately and harrowingly claimed thousands of lives, including four members of the tight-knit Sthapitanonda family on holiday at the time, leaving the sole survivor, Assoc Prof Dr Parichart, suffering heart-wrenching trauma for several years having to cope with such an unexpected loss.
       The once loving and affectionate family home back in Bangkok turned bleak and lifeless. Happy laughs were deafened by silent sobbing of the only dweller. Each day ended with an anguished memory.
       "I felt so desperate and lonely," revealed Dr Parichart."At the time, it seemed that my life was over too. I missed my parents and two closest sisters. The entire house turned gloomy and cheerless."
       The situation was exasperated when a group of burglars broke into her "melancholic sanctuary" and took away her loved ones' belongings. It seemed like the entire world was collapsing in front of her eyes.
       "I felt this city was no longer safe, even right in my own house. I kept asking myself why those things had to happen to me.Suddenly, I felt that my home was no longer liveable and I really wanted to move out and sell it to others," she said.
       "But when I came to my senses, I carefully explored my inner feelings. Eventually, I knew what I had to do with my parents'house."
       No place like home
       Five years later the once "dying house"is now restored to its glory days, vividly reflecting the true identity of the owner who wants to keep parts of her memorable and happy experiences with her loved ones alive in every nook and cranny.
       "I redecorated some corners and rooms to bring a new dimension of happiness to my life. But the genuine spirit of this home is still maintained. To me, a true home is a place where I can live happily, both physically and mentally," she said.
       Though Dr Parichart is an authentic travel aficionado, she finds that no place is like her home. When she wants to relax her body and soul, she simply moves to different areas of the house.
       Cool therapy
       Whenever Dr Parichart feels physically and mentally weary, she knows right away where to go to recharge her batteries. She merely heads back home and then immerses herself in her cozy jacuzzi, enjoyably slipping into her resting privacy. And the best time to keep her body and mind fresh and cool is at night.
       "While listening to the water sounds and soaking in the whirlpool bathtub, I feel overwhelmingly relaxed. It seems like I can escape from the chaotic city," she said."More impressively, when I look up into the sky, I can see the glamorous Moon and the glistening stars. That makes my relaxation time more impressive and natural."
       A rainy bathroom
       Dr Parichart always yearns for nature and is happy to bring it into her home, even the most private area.
       A semi open-air bathroom is designed to satisfy her need to have a shower amidst the natural environment. And her happiness is doubly increased when the rainy season comes since it means that she can take a real cool shower pouring down from the sky.
       The entire bathroom is in yellow tones with no roof. Its rough cement walls reflect rawness and simplicity. The floor is lined with wood and pebbles, rendering a unique ambiance.
       "At night, I can hear the crickets chirping while in the mornings many birds also sing their tuneful songs. It's like I'm taking a bath in a natural setting," she said.
       A happy hammock
       At weekends, Dr Parichart always happily ends her days in a hammock tied under big trees where she can expose her soul directly to her small green world.
       "This area is nestled in a small forest where several kinds of trees that bear fragrant flowers are thriving well and providing cool shade.In the evening, I enjoy taking a rest beneath the canopy of these trees to smell their scented blooms," she elaborated.
       This corner was once also the most favourite place of her two dead sisters who always had a cup of coffee and practised yoga in the morning.
       "My two younger sisters really liked a garden. If they were still alive, they would frequently spend their time here," said Parichart.
       A doll's world
       To Dr Parichart, a doll's room is so meaningful since it keeps all the good memories of when members of her family spent their time altogether in other countries. Upon returning home, they always brought back with them a wide variety of adorable dolls vividly reflecting various cultures and identities of the countries they visited. And each family member also had their own favourite dolls. So far, several hundreds dolls from all over the world are kept in glass cabinets.
       "We shared the same interest in collecting dolls. It was first started by my mother and then the others followed suit. Each doll we collected also mirrors our character. These collectible showcases also fascinate my guests,too," said Dr Parichart.
       "Whenever I feel bored,I will go to this room and rearrange the dolls. Those at the back are moved to the front and vice versa.It's pleasurable doing this."
       Apart from serving as a private doll museum,this room is also set aside as an informal living room where Dr Parichart can welcome her close friends to attend any get-together party and they all will be treated with about 500 songs played automatically by the ancient piano bought from Japan, regarded as a family heirloom.
       "This piano was bought when I was 10. I will play it when I have guests. There is also a space where they can dance along with the songs. But while relaxing myself in the jacuzzi,I will listen to the songs played by this piano.It's so relaxing," she said.
       An Indian ingress
       And when the meeting is more formal, Dr Parichart will lead her guests to the multifunction room, once the family's living room.
       In order to connect the interior area with the outside green zone, Dr Parichart prefers glass walls rather than opaque ones that seem to trap all people inside with no way out. And to be compatible with the theme of a multi-function room, there is a whiteboard which can be used on various occasions.
       "Sometimes when I have a meeting or teach my students at home, this whiteboard is so useful. This room is so versatile. It can be used to hold a personal party and small meeting. Very, often, I also work in this room,"she said.
       At the front of the room stands a majestic thousand-year-old Indian-style door, regarded as the house's extraordinary showcase. It took Dr Parichart several years to "hunt down"her favourite door.
       "I once saw an Indian door at Siam Discovery and I really liked it. I told my interior designer to find one for me while I studied abroad but he couldn't. When I returned home, I was still looking for an Indian door until I found one in Chiang Mai," she recalled.
       At the centre of the room stands the dining table where her family once enjoyed happy meals together. Now this remnant of the old days still serves its original function whenever
       a small party is held at home.
       "My mother bought this table several years ago. It was imported from Italy and now it is not available in Thailand because its price is so exorbitant due to the stone used to design the whole piece, which is taken from the deep sea. At first, it was put in the garden but I just moved it into the room to accommodate my guests," she explained.
       An endless mission
       According to Dr Parichart, the fun part of decorating her house happens when everything can be moved from place to place to render a novel atmosphere and to be in harmony with the different moods of the different times of the year.
       To her, finding the right piece of furniture or any decorative item is also challenging and exciting.
       "I can't finish decorating my house. It takes years to find the favourite pieces. Decorative work is endless," she said.
       Dr Parichart believes that it's not necessary to pay for expensive decorative items when it comes to interior design. There are other factors that can make the entire house more magnificent and liveable including light-andshadow arrangements and, more importantly,continual care and maintenance.
       "The beauty of a house can vanish within the blink of an eye if the house is neglected.It demands great care and continuous attention to keep all details in good shape.What I am trying to do is to make my house become my retreat centre, where I can happily rest my body and soul," she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment