Tuesday, September 1, 2009

DESIGNS ON POLITICS

       Immersedin an artistic lifestyle,'Thank'Mahapaurya dreams of following in the footsteps of his stepfather, Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij By Panpimol Krishnamra
       Phongsakorn Mahapaurya is a handsome 27-year-old who owes his good looks to his mother, Vorakorn Chatikavanij,a petite and pretty lady who always turns up smart and lively and never appears anywhere less than stylish. She is also the woman behind investment banker-turned-politician Korn Chatikavanij, Thailand's finance minister and stepfather to Phongsakorn and younger brother Bhanditr,18.
       Rounding out the happy family are Mr Phongsakorn's two half brothers,12-yearold Karn and the nine-year-old Kraisiri Chatikavanij.
       Mr Phongsakorn is an artist, and he certainly lives the lifestyle. We met at The Lofts Yennakart, where he lives alone. He walked out to greet us with a killer smile wearing a light blue Y-3 polo shirt and shorts, looking relaxed despite having returned late the night before from a quick trip to Chiang Mai for an art exhibition.
       Everything Mr Phongsakorn needs is in his bachelor pad. Of course, there is the bedroom. Outside, one corner is reserved for his artwork, oozing with sculptures, sketches, oil paintings and water colours. Another area is zoned for movies and other entertainment and a final corner is taken up by his computer,where he spends a lot of time when at home. He explained that his mother encourages him to be self sufficient. The condo was a gift from her, but otherwise he takes care of all his expenses.
       He pays the bills with the proceeds from his own funky brand of designer jewellery, called Thank, which is also his nickname. He exports the jewellery to a regular customer who owns a jewelry shop in Switzerland.
       He explained:"All my jewellery is handmade and a work of art. I used to have a shop at Siam Paragon, but decided to close it when the economy took a downturn. Still, some tourists who like my work have been making continuous orders for jewellery to sell at their shop in Switzerland, which is enough to sustain my business. I am also happy with the selling price," he said.
       Thai people can also adorn themselves with the Thank brand of jewellery, as Mr Phongsakorn still makes customised pieces for people he knows."If anyone is interested, all they have to do is contact me,"he said.
       He compared his jewellery with fusion food, saying the brand is comprised of chunky jewelry with a fusion twist combining modern style with vintage flair.For example, you might find a vintage lion head combined with trendy enamel and gemstones.
       "During the Victorian era," he noted,"they used a lot of designs with gold. To this I add new materials such as animal skins or contrasting gemstones."
       Most of his creations are bracelets for women. Prior to establishing his own brand he trained and worked with ML Rojanatorn Na Songkhla, the aristocratic lady famous for her own jewellery brand, Narandha.
       "I've always liked art, and I've always liked to draw, and I was looking for a line of work that involves drawing and that I can make a living out of."
       Now, however, Mr Phongsakorn is in the process of taking a step back with his jewellery business to gain more expertise."The brand is still relatively new. I still don't have enough experience. I want to have more practice before I return with a change for the better."
       When he makes his comeback he plans to go further than before, with a rebranding and a partner to help run the business.
       Besides art, another area that captures Mr Phongsakorn's interest is politics. This is not surprising given that his Oxfordeducated stepfather is the finance minister.
       "When I went to help Khun Korn run his election campaign I got the chance to meet with many different people," he said.
       "It paved the way for me to get to know people from every level of society.Khun Korn taught me that if I make these contacts I should not abandon them. So once in a while I join in on various activities such as annual boat competitions and temple fairs.
       "I am the sort of person who can mix with all types of people. I am open to people and things around me. If you understand the nature of people, then you will be able to help solve their problems."
       Not surprisingly, the young man plans to become more involved with politics in the future and also to continue with his jewellery business.
       "I love the designing part. I just want someone to help me with the business side so that I will have more time to assist Khun Korn with politics. When I walk into certain communities and see, for instance, old people, I want to help them to live comfortably."
       With his good looks and charm, it is not surprising that he was once a teenage heartthrob, appearing for three years in the popular Thai teenage series,Calling Wai Korn Poh Sorn Wai ."I played a character similar to myself,a rich but down-to-earth teenager who was a leader of his group of friends."When he landed the role he had just returned from his studies abroad at Melbourne University, where he graduated with a major in manufacturing engineering. Prior to that he attended Scots College,a boy's school in New Zealand.
       When he came back to Thailand he took another bachelor's degree at Srinakarinviroj University with a major in jewellery design. The experience proved to be entirely new for him.
       "The courses were taught in Thai, and it was my intention to study with Thai students. I wanted to have friends in Thailand. It's a different culture. I wanted to get the feeling of student orientation,
       which is the tradition in Thai universities for first-year students."
       He found school here more fun than studying abroad, he said with a broad smile."I like the seniority system here.During the student orientation, stressful situations were created so that students within the same year learn to unite and bond by solving the various problems that the senior classes give them.
       "Studying with all my classmates for another four years made us closer. I still see some of them up to this day."
       He was also a TV host in a variety programme called Hi Friend on Channel 5 for one year, where he updated the audience on the latest trends and venues.

No comments:

Post a Comment